Mauritanian iron ore project
The largest iron ore financing globally in 2009 and in the history of Mauritania. One of the largest ever iron ore financings in Western Africa. Trade Finance Deal of the year 2010.
Mongolian copper gold mine project
The world’s largest, undeveloped copper-gold porphyry deposit. When completed, Oyu Tolgoi will be the first project financing in Mongolia and the largest project financing ever completed in the mining sector
Canadian rare earth elements project
One of the world’s largest undeveloped rare earth elements resources, the Project is one of the few sources of ‘heavy’ rare earth elements outside of China.
Our Team > Guy de Selliers
Guy de Selliers
President & Co-Founder
Guy de Selliers is President and Co-Founder of HCF International Advisers.
Guy has more than 40 years experience in banking and investment banking, with much of his work focusing on the natural resources and heavy industry sectors in developing countries including Russia, Central and Eastern Europe and Africa. He has held senior executive positions in both multilateral organisations and private sector firms.
He is currently on the Boards of Ageas S.A., AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group N.V., Ivanhoe Mines Limited and other privately held companies.
Key roles include:
- Robert Fleming & Co Limited – Board member and Chairman, Eastern Europe
- MC-BBL Easter Holdings – Chief Executive Officer for an investment banking group with activities throughout Eastern and Central Europe
- European Bank for Reconstruction & Development (EBRD) – Vice Chairman of the Credit Committee, member of the Executive Committee and First Deputy Vice President of the Banking Division
- Lehman Brothers – Senior Vice President. Guy de Selliers was part of the “Troika” team advising African governments on debt rescheduling negotiations in Gabon, Congo, and Mozambique
- Guy de Selliers has also acted as adviser to the European Commission on a number of issues and chaired the Private Sector Consultative Group on the future strategy for the EC aid programmes in the Former Soviet Union
Key transactions include:
- Platreef PGM, Nickel, Copper and Gold Project, South Africa: Guy is overseeing the team acting as sole financial adviser to Ivanhoe Mines in the sourcing of up to USD 1.0 billion project finance for the development of its underground mining project in South Africa (ongoing)
- Oyu Tolgoi Copper-Gold Project, Mongolia – Guy de Selliers assisted the team that acted as lead advisers to Turquoise Hill Resources (previously Ivanhoe Mines) in the USD 4.0 billion project financing of the 28 mtpa copper-gold mining project located in the South Gobi region, Mongolia (2015)
- SNIM, Mauritania – Guy de Selliers led the team advising SNIM on El Aouj, which involved amongst others the disposal of 49.9% of SNIM’s DR grade El Aouj Iron Ore project to QASCO and Hadeed. He also led the team advising SNIM on the USD 712m multi-sourcing debt financing for the expansion of its Guelb el Rhein
- Iron ore mine in Mauritania. 2010 Trade Finance Deal of the Year (2009- 2010)
- World Bank – At the World Bank, Guy de Selliers worked as a project officer in charge of mining projects including: SNIM’s Guelb I, Congo Gecamines, Guinea Bauxite, Guinea Iron ore, Liberian Iron Ore, Moroccan Shale and others
- At Lehman Brothers, Guy de Selliers was part of the “Troika” team advising African governments on debt rescheduling negotiations in Gabon, Congo and Mozambique
Education, citizenship and languages:
- Masters of Engineering, University of Louvain
- Masters of Economics, University of Louvain
- Belgian citizen
- Languages: French, English, Dutch