Mauritanian iron ore project
The largest iron ore financing globally in 2009 and in the history of Mauritania. One of the largest ever iron ore financings in Western Africa. Trade Finance Deal of the year 2010.
Mongolian copper gold mine project
The world’s largest, undeveloped copper-gold porphyry deposit. When completed, Oyu Tolgoi will be the first project financing in Mongolia and the largest project financing ever completed in the mining sector
Canadian rare earth elements project
One of the world’s largest undeveloped rare earth elements resources, the Project is one of the few sources of ‘heavy’ rare earth elements outside of China.
Our Team > Sean Gorman
Over 25 years of experience in the natural resources sector ranging from mining, oil & gas to power generation and renewable energy sectors. Sean commenced his career as a project engineer working in design and construction of oil refineries and onshore gas plants and, more recently, in senior executive roles responsible for project finance, business development and private equity in the resources sector.
Sean was formerly a Director in Royal Bank of Scotland’s Project Finance Portfolio where he was responsible for the turn around and debt restructuring of a number of distressed infrastructure and power generation assets which had been taken into bank ownership. He was also responsible for the structuring, execution and syndication of large project finance transactions for power and natural resource projects.
Key roles include:
- Royal Bank of Scotland – Project Finance Portfolio
- Parsons and Bechtel – Sean has been responsible as an engineer for leading design teams in the execution of EPC contracts in the Oil & Gas sector for the development of onshore production facilities in regions from Western Europe through to the Middle East and Kazakhstan
Key transactions include:
- Sunrise Nickel and Cobalt Project, Australia: Sean is leading the team acting as sole financial adviser to Clean TeQ Holdings Limited in the raising of USD 700 million project finance in Australia (ongoing)
- Oyu Tolgoi Copper-Gold Project, Mongolia – Sean led the team acting as lead advisers to Turquoise Hill Resources (previously Ivanhoe Mines) in the USD 4.0 billion project financing of the 28mtpa copper-gold mining project located in the South Gobi region, Mongolia (2015)
- Project S (confidential), Europe – Sean led the EUR 1,300 million cross border project financing of a 648MW portfolio of wind assets in Germany and Italy (2007)
- IVPC4 Wind Project, Italy – Sean co-led the EUR 565 million project financing of a 371MW wind project in Italy. A full underwriting of debt, split across senior, junior and mezzanine tranches, which also included a tax based structure (2006)
- IVPC2000 Wind Project, Italy – Sean co-led the EUR 320 million project financing of a 154MW wind project in Italy which was a full underwriting and syndication of debt (2006)
- Teesside Power, UK – Sean was lead banker in the GBP 655 million debt restructuring of a 1,950MW CCGT power plant operating in the UK (2006)
- Drax Power, UK – Sean was part of team involved in restructuring GBP 1,800 million of project finance debt for a 4,000MW coal-fired power station operating in the UK. Acting on behalf of a large group of lenders, Sean took ownership of the asset and oversaw the management team performance through to a successful IPO (2004 – 2005)
- Killingholme Power, UK – Sean was lead banker in the restructuring of GBP 355 million project finance facilities associated with a 652MW CCGT plant in the UK. Sean’s role, on behalf of a wide syndicate of banks, was to take ownership of the power plant, install a management team to operate the plant through to a successful sale which resulted in a full recovery of debt for all lenders (2003)
Education and citizenship:
- MBA, City University Business School
- BEng (Honours), Manchester Polytechnic
- Chartered Mechanical Engineer
- Irish citizen