Mauritanian iron ore project
The largest iron ore financing globally in 2009 and in the history of Mauritania. One of the largest ever iron ore financings in Western Africa. Trade Finance Deal of the year 2010.
Mongolian copper gold mine project
The world’s largest, undeveloped copper-gold porphyry deposit. When completed, Oyu Tolgoi will be the first project financing in Mongolia and the largest project financing ever completed in the mining sector
Canadian rare earth elements project
One of the world’s largest undeveloped rare earth elements resources, the Project is one of the few sources of ‘heavy’ rare earth elements outside of China.
Our Team > Dr. Rod Beddows
Dr. Rod Beddows
Senior Adviser & Co-Founder
Rod has over 35 years of experience as a strategy consultant and more recently as corporate finance adviser, with the last 20 years dedicated to the metals sector. Rod co-founded HCF in 2003. Rod has been a Director of the Hatch Group and Chairman of its Strategy Consulting Practice. He joined the Hatch Group in 1998 following the sale to Hatch of Beddows & Co, a strategy consultancy he founded in 1987.
Rod has led major strategy assignments for several of the major corporates in the sector and has worked extensively in all the major geographies. Rod is a respected source of views on the future of the metals industry, especially the steel sector. Rod is on the Board of ZincOx Resources plc, a zinc miner and developer of an improved technology for processing EAF dust and extracting zinc and iron units from that dust.
Key roles include:
- ZincOx Resources Plc – Deputy Chairman, for UK based, zinc miner and developer of improved processing technology for EAF dust and zinc extraction
- Co-founder of HCF
- Main board director of Hatch Associates
- Chairman Beddows & Co – strategy consultancy
Key transactions include:
- Western Canadian Coal, Canada – Rod advised Western Canadian Coal Corp (later, Western Coal Corp) and its majority shareholder, Cambrian Mining plc, on a number of different mandates. Western Canadian Coal, a metallurgical coal mining company with assets in British Columbia, was acquired by Walter Energy in 2011
- Hamersley Iron/Rio Tinto Ltd, Confidential – Rod advised Rio Tinto on a potential acquisition of a iron ore opportunity in North America plus a number of other transactions
- Rönnbacken Nickel Project, Sweden – Rod led the team advising IGE Resources AB in relation to the USD 15 million secured convertible credit facility the company entered into with Waterton Global Value L.P. (2011)
- Idaho Cobalt Project, USA – Rod led the team acting as strategic adviser to Formation Capital Corporation (now Formation Metals Inc.) in relation to the funding (both equity and debt) of the Idaho Cobalt project located in east central Idaho (2009)
- Northland Resources, Sweden/Finland – Rod led the team acting as strategic adviser to Northland Resources, undertaking a strategic review of the company and its Finnish and Swedish projects (2009)
- China Metallurgical Group Corporation Nickel Laterite Project, Papua New Guinea – Rod led the team acting as financial adviser to China Metallurgical Group Corporation in relation to a world class nickel laterite mine located in Madang (2007)
- Corus acquisition – Rod advised Tata Steel on the acquisition of Corus to create the world’s 5th largest steel company (2006)
- Mindoro Nickel Project, Philippines – Rod led the team acting as Financial Adviser to Crew Minerals in relation to the drafting of an MoU with Jilin Jien Nickel, regarding the development of the nickel laterite deposit located on Mindoro Island, Philippines (2005)
Education and citizenship:
- DBA Administration Systems, Harvard University
- MSC Management Studies, Durham University
- BA Politics & Philosophy, Bristol University
- British citizen